From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 23:53:44
1 Hi Philip,
2
3 On Sat, Apr 09, 2016 at 06:50:49PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
4 > Can you or anyone else answer my other question re the origin of the thread ?
5 > -- ie is this a revival of not putting /usr on its own partition
6 > or is it a new proposal to alter the file system in some other way ?
7
8 The original discussion was about the usr merge [1], which is taking the
9 binary parts of / and putting them in /usr, then inserting symlinks in /
10 to preserve backward compatibility. Yes, I'm pointing to a document on
11 fdo, but the systemd guys have nothing to do with the /usr merge; it
12 originally happened in Solaris.
13
14 I never supported the reverse merge that has been discussed, it was just
15 brought up I guess as an example of a Gentoo user being able to do his
16 own setup. Reverse merge meaning moving everything from /usr to /.
17
18 The thread has definitely gotten more out of hand than I anticipated. It
19 is very hard at this point to separate the pros/cons, bikeshedding and
20 personal preferences. That's why I requested that someone assist with a
21 summary. :-)
22
23 William
24