From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 00:38:19
1 On 10/04/16 00:53, William Hubbs wrote:
2 >
3 > The original discussion was about the usr merge [1], which is taking the
4 > binary parts of / and putting them in /usr, then inserting symlinks in /
5 > to preserve backward compatibility. Yes, I'm pointing to a document on
6 > fdo, but the systemd guys have nothing to do with the /usr merge; it
7 > originally happened in Solaris.
8 >
9 > I never supported the reverse merge that has been discussed, it was just
10 > brought up I guess as an example of a Gentoo user being able to do his
11 > own setup. Reverse merge meaning moving everything from /usr to /.
12 >
13 I may have contributed to the latter point, but addressing the former
14 specifically, I, like others, have /usr mounted on an NFS server for
15 thin clients (not in the full-true sense, but with a very minimal /
16 currently residing on USB).
17 What you propose moving binaries from / to /usr would render them
18 completely unbootable without early mounting via initramfs. Granted,
19 what I have now is rather a bodge, but it's working fine, and provided I
20 am meticulous about any rare changes from the host build system to /,
21 this is a small problem in the grander scheme of things, and I have one
22 maintained 'install' on my build system. Ok, so a full thin-client would
23 probably be a better* option, but I'm running with what I got, rather
24 than investing a lot (of/more) time/energy in getting that solution
25 working, which failed on (several) previous attempts (hence *).