From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Assigning keyword/stable bugs to arch teams (WAS: [gentoo-dev] dropping redundant stable keywords)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 20:50:29
1 On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 06:58:47PM +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 09:41:03 +0100
3 > Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > El dom, 16-02-2014 a las 00:37 +0100, Jeroen Roovers escribió:
6 > > [...]
7 > > > > If we want a separate assignee for old stabilizations, what about
8 > > > > a separate project that handles this, or maybe we could assign
9 > > > > the bugs to m-n or something until the arch teams catch up?
10 > > >
11 > > > Again, where is the man power for that? :-)
12 > > >
13 > > > It's the maintainers that this problem hurts most, so they could and
14 > > > should be fixing it themselves - after a few months of waiting,
15 > > > reminding arch teams and gritting your teeth over it, just remove
16 > > > the old stable ebuilds[1].
17 > > >
18 > > >
19 > > > jer
20 > > >
21 > > >
22 > > > [1] Where possible. If this happens with non-dev, non-experimental
23 > > > architectures and keeping the old ebuilds is a real problem, the
24 > > > architecture's status should be reconsidered. As has been done
25 > > > on this mailing list time and again. If an arch team cannot even be
26 > > > bothered to keep @system up to date, then why bother pretending
27 > > > it's anywhere near "stable"?
28 > > >
29 > >
30 > > I agree with Jeroen here. If the arch teams that are usually a bit
31 > > behind are not able to fix the bugs, I doubt we will gain anything
32 > > assigning bugs to them. Because of the way testing/stabilization bugs
33 > > work, arch teams should always check the bugs with them CCed and,
34 > > then, I don't think getting that bugs assigned to them would change
35 > > much.
36 >
37 > That would be true if the context of this thread were the arch team;
38 > however, the context of this thread is the maintainer as that is the
39 > person experiencing the problem that was put forward.
40 >
41 > The solution here thus intends to address the maintainer, which benefits
42 > from this; while it keeps the arch team's the same, whether the arch
43 > team does more with this is their own responsibility.
44 >
45 > > Also, keeping the bugs assigned to package maintainers will still
46 > > allow them to try to get that pending bugs fixed (or resolved in some
47 > > way) as they will take care more about that specific package status.
48 >
49 > Package maintainers have better things to do. While it would allow
50 > for example the GNOME team to maintain GNOME 2 which sticks around; it
51 > actually happening is another story as they want to see GNOME 2 go,
52 > because maintaining multiple versions of GNOME costs too much time.
53 >
54 > > If we get that bugs assigned to arch teams, they will likely be
55 > > ignored by both parts, getting worse.
56 >
57 > At this point the arch team can realize that keeping the version around
58 > is an unrealistic goal, they can then take a decision to stop keeping
59 > it around and thus remove it; if needed, taking additional steps.
60
61 You are still assuming that the arch team is fully staffed. If they are
62 not, the old versions of packages still remain in the tree indefinitely.
63 As a maintainer, at some point, I don't want them around.
64
65 Keeping them around can force me to keep old migration code for example
66 that automates upgrading to new versions longer than I would have to
67 otherwise.
68
69 William