From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Assigning keyword/stable bugs to arch teams (WAS: [gentoo-dev] dropping redundant stable keywords)
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 18:47:05
1 On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:50:41 -0600
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 06:58:47PM +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 09:41:03 +0100
6 > > Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > El dom, 16-02-2014 a las 00:37 +0100, Jeroen Roovers escribió:
9 > > > [...]
10 > > > > > If we want a separate assignee for old stabilizations, what
11 > > > > > about a separate project that handles this, or maybe we could
12 > > > > > assign the bugs to m-n or something until the arch teams
13 > > > > > catch up?
14 > > > >
15 > > > > Again, where is the man power for that? :-)
16 > > > >
17 > > > > It's the maintainers that this problem hurts most, so they
18 > > > > could and should be fixing it themselves - after a few months
19 > > > > of waiting, reminding arch teams and gritting your teeth over
20 > > > > it, just remove the old stable ebuilds[1].
21 > > > >
22 > > > >
23 > > > > jer
24 > > > >
25 > > > >
26 > > > > [1] Where possible. If this happens with non-dev,
27 > > > > non-experimental architectures and keeping the old ebuilds is a
28 > > > > real problem, the architecture's status should be reconsidered.
29 > > > > As has been done on this mailing list time and again. If an
30 > > > > arch team cannot even be bothered to keep @system up to date,
31 > > > > then why bother pretending it's anywhere near "stable"?
32 > > > >
33 > > >
34 > > > I agree with Jeroen here. If the arch teams that are usually a bit
35 > > > behind are not able to fix the bugs, I doubt we will gain anything
36 > > > assigning bugs to them. Because of the way testing/stabilization
37 > > > bugs work, arch teams should always check the bugs with them CCed
38 > > > and, then, I don't think getting that bugs assigned to them would
39 > > > change much.
40 > >
41 > > That would be true if the context of this thread were the arch team;
42 > > however, the context of this thread is the maintainer as that is the
43 > > person experiencing the problem that was put forward.
44 > >
45 > > The solution here thus intends to address the maintainer, which
46 > > benefits from this; while it keeps the arch team's the same,
47 > > whether the arch team does more with this is their own
48 > > responsibility.
49 > >
50 > > > Also, keeping the bugs assigned to package maintainers will still
51 > > > allow them to try to get that pending bugs fixed (or resolved in
52 > > > some way) as they will take care more about that specific package
53 > > > status.
54 > >
55 > > Package maintainers have better things to do. While it would allow
56 > > for example the GNOME team to maintain GNOME 2 which sticks around;
57 > > it actually happening is another story as they want to see GNOME 2
58 > > go, because maintaining multiple versions of GNOME costs too much
59 > > time.
60 > >
61 > > > If we get that bugs assigned to arch teams, they will likely be
62 > > > ignored by both parts, getting worse.
63 > >
64 > > At this point the arch team can realize that keeping the version
65 > > around is an unrealistic goal, they can then take a decision to
66 > > stop keeping it around and thus remove it; if needed, taking
67 > > additional steps.
68 >
69 > You are still assuming that the arch team is fully staffed. If they
70 > are not, the old versions of packages still remain in the tree
71 > indefinitely.
72
73 It allows undermanned arch teams to prioritize; and as a consequence of
74 that, the assumption is that arch team's are undermanned as the fully
75 staffed arch teams benefit less from this. This is under the assumption
76 that this is being put to good use by the arch team, but that's up to
77 them; as I mentioned yesterday this is focused more on the maintainer.
78
79 Ignoring this, I see what you are getting at in the second part of
80 that paragraph; it indeed could become annoying to have to track which
81 versions you are and no longer are maintaining, which adds another
82 parameter of complexity to our daily maintenance work.
83
84 > As a maintainer, at some point, I don't want them around.
85 >
86 > Keeping them around can force me to keep old migration code for
87 > example that automates upgrading to new versions longer than I would
88 > have to otherwise.
89
90 +1
93 With kind regards,
94
95 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
96 Gentoo Developer
97
98 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
99 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
100 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D