From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The request to abolish games team policy
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 16:58:15
1 On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 07/09/2014 01:22 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> And some personal thoughts about the initial proposal...
4 >> I don't care about the suggestion 3. in mgorny's proposal at all, but 1.
5 >> and 2. should definately
6 >> stay as is.
7 > What authority does the game team have over anything? Did it get special
8 > blessing from the Council? Isn't it just another regular project as per
9 > GLEP 39?
12 While I tend to agree with the sentiment, and it may not be productive
13 to try to turn this into a bunch of rules, it is beneficial to have
14 guidelines/etc managed by projects in general, and to have maintainers
15 generally try to follow them.
16
17 So, if you're using the multilib eclass in your ebuild then it only
18 make sense to coordinate with the project that manages that. It isn't
19 so much about following rules as it just makes sense to not have
20 everything randomly break anytime somebody changes something.
21
22 If the games team is active and wants to help steer contributions that
23 isn't a bad thing. I'd suggest a bit more finesse though - they can
24 at least talk to maintainers before doing a package move.
25
26 I've managed exactly one game package and I can't say that working
27 with the games herd has ever been a problem. For the most part
28 they're fairly hands-off as long as you follow their rules.
29
30 That said, if anybody wants to be able to tell others what they can
31 and can't do then they should be prepared to have their rules
32 bikesheded in public from time to time. That's just the price of
33 fame, and if all games are supposed to follow the game project rules,
34 then those rules are perfectly good cannon fodder for -dev, whether it
35 gets escalated to council or not. :)
36
37 Rich