From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: The request to abolish games team policy
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 17:19:18
1 On 07/09/2014 02:58 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 07/09/2014 01:22 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
4 >>> And some personal thoughts about the initial proposal...
5 >>> I don't care about the suggestion 3. in mgorny's proposal at all, but 1.
6 >>> and 2. should definately
7 >>> stay as is.
8 >> What authority does the game team have over anything? Did it get special
9 >> blessing from the Council? Isn't it just another regular project as per
10 >> GLEP 39?
13 > While I tend to agree with the sentiment, and it may not be productive
14 > to try to turn this into a bunch of rules, it is beneficial to have
15 > guidelines/etc managed by projects in general, and to have maintainers
16 > generally try to follow them.
17 Of course. I'm not at all suggesting flouting guidelines for the sake of it.
18
19 In general the guidelines of multilib/python/Gnome/KDE/whatever are
20 followed because of mutual respect between the projects and maintainers.
21 I follow the guidelines of the python project because I respect their
22 knowledge and experience in the matter. Conversely, the python project
23 respects my role as a maintainer and doesn't needlessly interfere.
24
25 This is not true of the games team, which attempts to dominate game
26 packages for no discernable reason. If it behaved more like the other
27 projects issuing guidelines we wouldn't he having this discussion.
28
29 "My way or the highway" is not how to achieve a better Gentoo.