From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Don't require assignment of empty variables in ebuilds?
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:00:36
1 On Wednesday 18 July 2012 13:53:37 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > Our current policy [1] requires that ebuilds must assign the seven
3 > variables DESCRIPTION, HOMEPAGE, SRC_URI, LICENSE, SLOT, KEYWORDS, and
4 > IUSE, even if their value is empty.
5 >
6 > Could we drop this requirement? Repoman already enforces that
7 > DESCRIPTION, HOMEPAGE, LICENSE, SLOT, and KEYWORDS are non-empty
8 > (with some exceptions for virtuals). I don't see why we need to
9 > distinguish the "empty value" and "not assigned" cases.
10
11 i think we should clarify and say that when an eclass provides these, the
12 ebuild need not. completely missing DESCRIPTION/HOMEPAGE should be a warning
13 (and maybe KEYWORDS), and LICENSE should be an error. there are plenty of
14 examples of SRC_URI not being set and that's fine (live ebuilds, ebuilds that
15 only install out of $FILESDIR, virtuals, etc...).
16 -mike