From: Sergey Popov <admin@××××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 05:45:33
1 02.08.2012 04:20, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > That's right... the poster was running a POSIX locale for several
3 > years ***AND DID NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS RELATED TO IT***.
4 This discussion is very similar with one, that i have seen in Russian
5 Linux community some years ago about migrating from ru_RU.KOI8-R to
6 ru_RU.UTF-8. Arguments from "KOI8-R guys" were the same - "Why we should
7 change something if it works?" and they are also did not notice
8 fundamental problems with some vitally important packages, which can not
9 be replaced or need to be heavily patched to work properly. Arguments
10 from "UTF-8 guys" were not ideal, but locale change brokes only old or
11 unsupported packages, so they win.
12
13 P.S. I do not think that comparison with 'initramfs and separate /usr
14 problem' is correct in this case. Default locale change is evolution,
15 not revolution...