From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 00:21:40
1 On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 04:29:42PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote
2
3 > Every locale is wrong for somebody; the idea was that by taking
4 > a survey, you could make it wrong for the least amount of people
5 > (by default).
6
7 Question... has anybody ever considered that maybe a POSIX locale
8 is wrong for the least amount of people??? There's also a very damning
9 statement in the post that started this thread...
10
11 On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:39:59PM +0200, Sascha Cunz wrote
12 > I recently discovered that I for some reason haven't noticed the
13 > warning about setting the locale to utf-8 in the gentoo handbook for
14 > obviously several years; thus i was still running all my systems in
15 > a POSIX locale since i never cared much about it.
16 >
17 > However, since I noticed, I talked to several people about it; all
18 > of them stating as first response: "Not shipping with a utf-8 locale
19 > turned on by default nowadays probably is a bug in your distro"
20
21 That's right... the poster was running a POSIX locale for several
22 years ***AND DID NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS RELATED TO IT***. Then "several
23 people said" "Not shipping with a utf-8 locale turned on by default
24 nowadays probably is a bug in your distro". And suddenly it's a
25 problem. What's next? Despite running with no problems for many years
26 with a separate /usr and no initramfs, will we have "several people"
27 come along and tell us that it's a bug in our distro? Oh... wait...
28
29 The fact that "other distros do it" does not constitute justification
30 for us to do it. If I wanted to run Redhat or Ubuntu, I'd run Redhat or
31 Ubuntu. We're ignoring a very basic question here... what problems does
32 shipping with a POSIX locale cause that would be fixed by setting a UTF8
33 default locale??? I want a real answer. Not something along the lines
34 of "But daddy, all the other kids are doing it".
37 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>