From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: mesa.eselect
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 08:44:55
1 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn posted on Sun, 31 Oct 2010 23:30:36 +0100 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > media-libs/mesa-7.9 has been sitting in the X11 overlay for some time
5 > and the X11 team are planning to move it to portage soon.
6 > The new release brings a number of improvements, including much better
7 > Gallium3D support. One feature that we would like to add to Mesa in
8 > Gentoo is the ability to switch between "classic" and "gallium" drivers
9 > via an eselect module.
10
11 I've been running the x11 overlay for some time, and had been wondering
12 how I was supposed to switch between gallium and classic for Radeon. I'd
13 noticed eselect-mesa being merged, but hadn't made the connection.
14
15 So thanks for the hint! Now I can try gallium on the r600 =:^) (and
16 actually see that I had classic selected, something I thought was the
17 case, but had no idea how to check, before). I figured it should be
18 possible, but hadn't really looked into how, too deeply.
19
20 FWIW, if there was anything about how that's supposed to work in the
21 post-install messages or the like, I must have missed it, and I'm
22 /usually/ pretty good about going thru those. So perhaps either adding
23 such messages or making them a bit more visible might be useful.
24
25 Now that I know about it, I'm going to try it. If I find any bugs, I'll
26 be sure and file them. =:^)
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman