From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-utils
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:41:33
1 On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 08:54:42AM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2
3 > sys-apps will no longer be there once we switched to profiles.
4 > We used the sys categories only for packages that we used for our
5 > minimum runtime system.
6 > All dependencies assume that all sys packages are installed.
7 > We change this now. I'm currently reworking dependencies so they assume
8 > all packages from sys-build are installed.
9 > (bad english).
10 > There is a list in the cvs tree called current-packages.build. All
11 > packges required for a minimum build system are
12 > listed there. (not all are commited, I'm still testing).
13 > I will upload a build-tarball in the next days.
14
15 Achim, I agree with everything you said except for one thing... I think
16 we should keep the sys-categories, but they should be like any other
17 category. There's a definite need for sys-apps, sys-kernel and sys-libs;
18 however, sys-devel can disappear with no problem.
19
20 sys-apps: "system applications and tools (hardware/network configuration, etc.)"
21 sys-kernel: kernels
22 sys-libs: essential (or nearly essential) libraries. glibc would go here, as
23 would readline, as I don't see another good place for it.
26 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
27 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
28 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.