From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-utils
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 01:20:26
1 Pete Gavin wrote:
2
3 > Why is fbset in dev-utils?
4
5 There was no suitable other category for fbset.
6
7 > I don't see what it has to
8 > do w/ development. Maybe sys-apps?
9
10 sys-apps will no longer be there once we switched to profiles.
11 We used the sys categories only for packages that we used for our
12 minimum runtime system.
13 All dependencies assume that all sys packages are installed.
14 We change this now. I'm currently reworking dependencies so they assume
15 all packages from sys-build are installed.
16 (bad english).
17 There is a list in the cvs tree called current-packages.build. All
18 packges required for a minimum build system are
19 listed there. (not all are commited, I'm still testing).
20 I will upload a build-tarball in the next days.
21
22 We make this move to be able to build profiles without development
23 tools. There should be no runtime dependencies
24 to build packages.
25
26 The build stuff can be linked statically, which should make it easier
27 for other people to port gentoo-linux to other platforms or to build
28 gentoo on top of an other distribution. (simply unpack the build-tarball
29 to a temporary location and chroot there).
30
31 If statically linked the environment requires about 130MB (dynamically
32 100MB).
33
34 The other thing I'm working on is adding more USE flags, so people are
35 able to build an Xfree free system or a system
36 without using berkdb.....
37
38 All these things need much time and I think I'm finaly finished in a
39 month or so. But then we should have a real cool
40 generic meta-distribution. That's why I'm always abit seceptik if you
41 want to move packages between categories
42 and stuff like that.
43
44 We want to put the build tarball on an cd together with the portage
45 tree and the distfiles. This makes it possible
46 to build everything from cd for your desired target with your own
47 USE and OPT flags.
48
49 achim~
52 > And shouldnt guile be in dev-lang, since it's technically just an
53 > interpreter, like python or perl?
54
55 Yes.
59 > Pete