From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Treewide metadata.xml
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 11:02:03
1 Hi,
2
3 Danny van Dyk wrote:
4 > On the other hand, if you want to search for a package name via
5 > metadata, you have to traverse the whole tree. Quite unhandy if done w/o
6 > a cache and not yet implemented AFAIK.
7
8 It is implemented, see app-portage/eix or app-portage/esearch, but these
9 both depend on cache, which has to be updated regulary.
10
11 > I would like to propose the following changes:
12 > Let's keep the metadata.xml in each package's directory in _CVS only_.
13 > Don't propagate them via rsync. Instead, use a script to compile all
14 > metadata.xml files into one central (XML) file. (This would probably
15 > need slight changes to the DTD). This file would then be placed into
16 > gentoo-portage/metadata/ and Portage,devs and users could easily parse it.
17
18 Sounds good, if your script validates the per-package metadata.xml
19 before transform it to the global one. It'd really suck if a single
20 missing '>' could screw the whole tree's metadata. This shouldn't be a
21 problem, especially if you transform the information with XSLT.
22
23 I definitively like the idea, it should speed up emerge -s enormously
24 and save quite some inodes. A reduction of 8% of files sounds really good.
25
26 Greetings,
27
28 blubb