From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo installation problems
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:46:05
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 01:07:07PM -0400, Marcus A Martin wrote:
2 : >
3 : >Use the "-d" flag for debug. This should throw out copious amounts of
4 : >information. In addition to "-d" you may want to use the "-T" flag for
5 : >test mode. It'll show you what's supposed to happen, but won't actually
6 : >change anything (not like it matters right now, but for future
7 : >edification).
8 :
9 : With the -d option, I discovered that failure occurs on the
10 : DHCP_DISCOVER call. This is really odd. Like I said, my dhcp server
11 : has a debian box and 2 windows boaxes connecting to it and they run
12 : fine. Do I need to do anything before I attempt to run dhcp eth0? The
13 : only thing that I have done is enabled the network card by loading the
14 : tulip driver with modprobe. Is there something else I should do first?
15
16 You can try issuing "ifconfig eth0 up" to make sure that the interface
17 is up and then run "dhcpcd -d eth0".
18
19 Without knowing you network topology there's not much more help I can
20 be.
21
22 You may not be connecting b/c the card isn't correctly auto-negotiating
23 with the switch/hub it's plugged into. Maybe you DHCP server has
24 tresholds or does expect a hostname or MAC address. Maybe the network
25 card is bad. Try swapping it with one of the working ones.
26
27 : >What version are you running. I just looked at both the i686-exclusive
28 : >and x86-build cds that I have and OFF_inet.dhcp_eth0 used dhcpcd.
29 :
30 : I have noticed that both the binary and build CD have dhcpcd but the
31 : OFF_inet.dhcp_eth0 file uses dhclient in the script. You may want to
32 : either update the script or add the dhclient file back into the sbin
33 : directory.
34
35 I'll make a note on the Wiki to update the script (unless Dan or Achim
36 beat me to it).
37
38 : Is there a rc4 iso image that I can get at? Maybe using a different
39 : image will be of help?
40
41 I don't think it'll help. Right now we need to figure out what's hosing
42 your network.
43
44 --Jerry
45
46 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
47 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
48 email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
49 || than that!