From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Colin Kingsley <ckingsley@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:36:58
1 On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 06:14:12AM -0400, Colin Kingsley wrote:
2 > OK. I've been reading this whole thread, and its getting a bit
3 > rediculous. One side *cough* Ciaran *cough* claims that this will
4 > wreak havoc on users systems and bring on the apocalypse in return
5 > for minor security gains, that its a hack, and is generaly bad. The
6 > other claims that it is a usefulle security tool that comes at the
7 > cost of a minor preformance hit; that while it _is_ the upstream
8 > developers job to make their code secure, it is still our job to
9 > provide security to the users. Nobody is winning this argument, mainly
10 > because neither side is addressing the other side's arguments.
13 Please don't try to make it sound like there's only a single person who
14 doesn't want this as default. I also feel it's much more acceptable to
15 leave it as it is, but I don't see much point in participating actively
16 in this thread (it's devolved enough as it is). Perhaps a GLEP would be
17 a good idea?
20 Jon Portnoy
21 avenj/irc.freenode.net
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list