From: Colin Kingsley <ckingsley@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:14:21
1 OK. I've been reading this whole thread, and its getting a bit
2 rediculous. One side *cough* Ciaran *cough* claims that this will
3 wreak havoc on users systems and bring on the apocalypse in return
4 for minor security gains, that its a hack, and is generaly bad. The
5 other claims that it is a usefulle security tool that comes at the
6 cost of a minor preformance hit; that while it _is_ the upstream
7 developers job to make their code secure, it is still our job to
8 provide security to the users. Nobody is winning this argument, mainly
9 because neither side is addressing the other side's arguments.
10
11 This is filling my mailbox with junk.
12
13 Well, I'm running my system with -fstack-protector in the global
14 CFLAGS, and it works just fine at no performace hit that I've noticed.
15 In addition, the rest of my CFLAGS are what most people whould
16 consider "insane," and I still managed to compile my whole system with
17 only one error.
18
19 My vote is make it default and let Ciara... I mean the users turn it
20 off if they want to.
21
22 Now please reach a decision and let this cursed thread die.
25 Colin
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list