From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:23:03
1 Hi,
2
3 Lares Moreau wrote:
4 > need to have some form of Governance board. A board that doesn't worry
5 > about implementation details; a board that gives a long term vision to
6 > our project.
7
8 This sounds very scary to me. Perhaps that's because I'm not sure how
9 detailed such a plan would be. If our goal is...
10
11 * "Make Gentoo the best distro 0n 73h p14n37"
12 I can only say "what a lame marketing."
13
14 * "Make Gentoo the most customizable distro"
15 I'm pretty sure some users with silly ideas will ask us to implement
16 the feature/whatever. If we reject their idea, they come up with
17 something like "But Gentoo is all about customisation!!!111".
18 (Actually, I was already confronted with such a situation in a
19 real-world meeting, it was pretty annoying.)
20 Also, this might not be where everybody wants to go.
21
22 * "Let's implement $foo with $bar."
23 Oh well, then we already have implementational details, which don't
24 belong into a 'general goal'.
25
26 > I am a big believer is having a common goal to unite all people who work
27 > with an organization. I'm sorry If I am repeating myself, but I feel
28 > this is an issue that is vital to the continued success of Gentoo.
29
30 If you replace 'organization' with 'project', I agree. There should be
31 something like a common goal. However, I don't think Gentoo has to have
32 one single goal. I'm pretty sure everybody of us has his own ideas where
33 Gentoo should go and his own motivations which make him contribute. So
34 why make generalisations? Just as an example:
35
36 Taken from the project listing page:
37
38 The developer relations Project is an effort to recruit, train, and
39 manage developers for Gentoo's development structure.
40
41 Now let's have a look at the three possible goals I stated above.
42
43 * "Make the best distro 0n 73h p14n37"
44 Obviously devrel's goal somehow supports this, as you can assume that
45 people spend more time on Gentoo-related work if there is a good
46 climate, but do you really need a global goal for such a trivial
47 thing? I don't think so.
48
49 * "Make Gentoo the most customizable distro"
50 I can't see how devrel contributes anything to this goal. Oh, wait a
51 sec, it doesn't contribute anything to Gentoo's goal? Let's drop it!
52 </sarcasm>
53
54 * "Let's implement $foo with $bar."
55 See above.
56
57 My point is, either you have to generalize each project's goal to a real
58 triviality or you have to define a goal which doesn't match some
59 project's goals. Conclusion: Let it be.
60
61 Regards,
64 Simon Stelling
65 Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead