From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE packages/categories and subcategories
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 15:16:02
1 Hi!
2
3 I think it's better to fix this in the portage system (i.e. something
4 like, unmerge gnome-libs and everything that depends on it).
5
6 As stated, with about 1000 KDE apps and probably as many gnome apps
7 kde-apps and gnome-apps categories will be a mess and you can't find
8 what you are looking for unless you know the name of the package.
9
10 I will (hopefully together with Danamark) restructure this and move
11 the packages to the right places. I think that we'll remove kde-apps,
12 gnome-apps and gnome-libs (as drobbins said). Move kde-apps and
13 gnome-apps into the correct places and move gnome-libs into gnome-base
14 (and clean it up, i.e. move non-gnome-dependent libs out of there).
15
16 If people have suggestions or want to discuss this, please do that on
17 IRC or in private email to me.
18
19 Regards,
20 Mikael Hallendal
21
22 > Hmm, I really like how the current system is where gnome apps have
23 > >their place and kde apps have theirs. It makes it really easy then to
24 > >unmerge a whole group of packages at once with a bash one liner. IE
25 > >gnome or kde could be removed in one simple step. I throught this was
26 > >a feature, I would hate to see it disappear.
27 > >
28 > > Best Regards,
29 > >
30 > > -- Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> Chief Architect/President