From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Unified nVidia Driver Ebuild ready for testing
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 15:36:30
1 On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 14:09:01 +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2
3 snip...
4 >> nVidia upstream combines all the products together
5 >> in their .run files. There is minimal time difference between having the
6 >> entire suite installed versus each one individually.
7 > Well depends how you see it.
8 > If you just build it when you update the drivers, yeah there's a minimal
9 > difference.
10 > But if you have more than one kernel (for whatever reason), and you want to
11 > have the latest kernel on all of them, it's way faster to just use
12 > nvidia-kernel.
13
14 Not really. glx does not compile at all and the entire pkg file has to be
15 extracted. Same amount of files being processed...
18 > Then there's the point I've already said, about mixing the kernel-level
19 > with generic userland stuff: for Gentoo/FreeBSD I need it to be split,
20 > or I'd have to recreate a copy ebuild especially for FBSD... and that
21 > not only sucks from an user POV but also from a maintenance POV.
22
23 FBSD is a problem already. It's not even a valid arch at the moment
24 (x86-fbsd). Work is ongoing to pull in the required sources:
25 ftp://download.nvidia.com/freebsd/1.0-8178/NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0.8178.tar.gz
26 and get it integrated. Anything current with fbsd is at the best a
27 complete hack.
28
29 The making of those sources differs substantially from current. Perhaps
30 you could help evaluate it?
31
32 Then, there is one last issue you did not consider. If nvidia releases a
33 new driver, there is no dependency from kernel -> glx. It's possible that
34 a user could update kernel, and NOT glx. That would be bad. Here,
35 everything will be kept in sync guaranteed.
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list