From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Unified nVidia Driver Ebuild ready for testing
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:14:52
1 On Saturday 24 December 2005 13:50, Peter wrote:
2 > Also, I find it absolutely fascinating that the only people against this
3 > concept are devs, and the only people for it are users. Remember that
4 > users are your customers. Every effort should be made to keep them happy.
5 Considering that we aren't paid, I think that every _affordable_ effort should
6 be made, but making more complex maintainership for devs just to satisfy a
7 couple of users, when the advantages are really minimal, it's not exactly a
8 good choice, IMHO.
9
10 > Here, with the unified nvidia, the intent was to REDUCE ebuilds and
11 > simplify installation process. I thought the recommendation of a meta
12 > nvidia ebuild is a worthy one worth consideration.
13 nvidia-glx depends on nvidia-kernel already, no? That would be enough, for me.
14
15 > nVidia upstream combines all the products together
16 > in their .run files. There is minimal time difference between having the
17 > entire suite installed versus each one individually.
18 Well depends how you see it.
19 If you just build it when you update the drivers, yeah there's a minimal
20 difference.
21 But if you have more than one kernel (for whatever reason), and you want to
22 have the latest kernel on all of them, it's way faster to just use
23 nvidia-kernel.
24
25 Then there's the point I've already said, about mixing the kernel-level with
26 generic userland stuff: for Gentoo/FreeBSD I need it to be split, or I'd have
27 to recreate a copy ebuild especially for FBSD... and that not only sucks from
28 an user POV but also from a maintenance POV.
31 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
32 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE