From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ChangeLog
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 02:16:06
1 Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> hasufell wrote:
4 >>> On 11/02/2015 10:54 PM, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6 >>>>> On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 14:00:18 -0600
7 >>>>> Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>>>> Rich Freeman wrote:
9 >>>>>>> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 1:08 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
10 >>>>>>>> Then perhaps all this should have been worked out BEFORE switching
11 >>>>>>>> to github?
12 >>>>>>> We didn't switch to github.
13 >>>>>> Then why are people saying to use git to look at the logs? I don't
14 >>>>>> want to use git.
15 >>>>> git != github...
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>>> I liked being able to go to the tree and look at the
18 >>>>>> change logs when I needed to which is sometimes often.
19 >>>>> I think you have a technology comprehension problem here, rather than a
20 >>>>> technology problem. The problem is your workflow, not the tools.
21 >>>>>
22 >>>> What I understand is this. The logs since github started being used are
23 >>>> no longer updated like they used to be. I realize that git is a command
24 >>>> but it seems that git gets its info from github since the logs are no
25 >>>> longer downloaded when I sync the tree.
26 >>> No. You should really read some tutorials/introductions on git to
27 >>> understand how it works and this ML isn't the place for that. It's not
28 >>> like SVN, so you don't even need an internet connection for the tree to
29 >>> work (e.g. if you've copied it via USB even). Github is totally
30 >>> unrelated here.
31 >>>
32 >>>
33 >>
34 >> So you are telling me that people using github and the switch that took
35 >> place has absolutely nothing to do with the changelogs going dead?
36 > You keep saying GitHub. Github is not relevant to this discussion.
37 >
38 > Yes, the ChangeLogs stopped being updated because of git.
39 >
40 > The git transition had been 9 years in the making and has massively
41 > improved Gentoo development. Look at the graph of contributions per
42 > month: https://www.openhub.net/p/gentoo
43 >
44 > It was decided that the missing infrastructure for ChangeLogs was not
45 > a sufficient reason to block a hugely important change.
46 >
47 > People care about finishing this, as evidence by this thread. Please
48 > stop complaining.
53 What bothers me is that people make it sound like it is ONLY me that is
54 having this issue when I have seen it posted here and on -user as well
55 by others. I agree that the change has improved things because even tho
56 I don't update as often as some do, I see more updates. I'm not arguing
57 that point for sure. Even I can see that improvement. I just ask that
58 people not point at me like it is only me that has a problem when even
59 Robin replied that the problem is known about and some changes seem to
60 be coming, hopefully soon since I miss the changelogs.
61
62 I also find it odd that early on, I was told to go to the github website
63 to get info regarding changes to Gentoo packages. I even bookmarked the
64 link. Even package.gentoo.org was out of date for a while. Thing is,
65 that doesn't match what I have locally because that includes changes
66 made since my last sync. It's not easy to find out what applies to me
67 locally since they are not in sync. Having it in the tree like it once
68 was means they are synced at the same time and the info there matches
69 what is in the tree locally because they get updated together.
70
71 As it is, if it is being worked on, fine. Just don't tell me that I'm
72 the only one with outdated changelogs and that I don't know the
73 difference between a software package and a website. I've been to
74 gituhub, as I was told to, and I know about the git software package
75 too. I just prefer not to use the website and would like up to date
76 logs locally like it should be and it appears from Robins reply is being
77 worked on at some point. It just seems they want to finish something
78 else first.
79
80 Dale
81