From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ChangeLog
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 01:53:02
1 On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > hasufell wrote:
3 >> On 11/02/2015 10:54 PM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 >>>> On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 14:00:18 -0600
6 >>>> Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>>> Rich Freeman wrote:
8 >>>>>> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 1:08 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >>>>>>> Then perhaps all this should have been worked out BEFORE switching
10 >>>>>>> to github?
11 >>>>>> We didn't switch to github.
12 >>>>> Then why are people saying to use git to look at the logs? I don't
13 >>>>> want to use git.
14 >>>> git != github...
15 >>>>
16 >>>>> I liked being able to go to the tree and look at the
17 >>>>> change logs when I needed to which is sometimes often.
18 >>>> I think you have a technology comprehension problem here, rather than a
19 >>>> technology problem. The problem is your workflow, not the tools.
20 >>>>
21 >>> What I understand is this. The logs since github started being used are
22 >>> no longer updated like they used to be. I realize that git is a command
23 >>> but it seems that git gets its info from github since the logs are no
24 >>> longer downloaded when I sync the tree.
25 >> No. You should really read some tutorials/introductions on git to
26 >> understand how it works and this ML isn't the place for that. It's not
27 >> like SVN, so you don't even need an internet connection for the tree to
28 >> work (e.g. if you've copied it via USB even). Github is totally
29 >> unrelated here.
34 > So you are telling me that people using github and the switch that took
35 > place has absolutely nothing to do with the changelogs going dead?
36
37 You keep saying GitHub. Github is not relevant to this discussion.
38
39 Yes, the ChangeLogs stopped being updated because of git.
40
41 The git transition had been 9 years in the making and has massively
42 improved Gentoo development. Look at the graph of contributions per
43 month: https://www.openhub.net/p/gentoo
44
45 It was decided that the missing infrastructure for ChangeLogs was not
46 a sufficient reason to block a hugely important change.
47
48 People care about finishing this, as evidence by this thread. Please
49 stop complaining.