From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ChangeLog
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 01:21:05
1 hasufell wrote:
2 > On 11/02/2015 10:54 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 14:00:18 -0600
5 >>> Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>> Rich Freeman wrote:
7 >>>>> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 1:08 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>>>> Then perhaps all this should have been worked out BEFORE switching
9 >>>>>> to github?
10 >>>>> We didn't switch to github.
11 >>>> Then why are people saying to use git to look at the logs? I don't
12 >>>> want to use git.
13 >>> git != github...
14 >>>
15 >>>> I liked being able to go to the tree and look at the
16 >>>> change logs when I needed to which is sometimes often.
17 >>> I think you have a technology comprehension problem here, rather than a
18 >>> technology problem. The problem is your workflow, not the tools.
19 >>>
20 >> What I understand is this. The logs since github started being used are
21 >> no longer updated like they used to be. I realize that git is a command
22 >> but it seems that git gets its info from github since the logs are no
23 >> longer downloaded when I sync the tree.
24 > No. You should really read some tutorials/introductions on git to
25 > understand how it works and this ML isn't the place for that. It's not
26 > like SVN, so you don't even need an internet connection for the tree to
27 > work (e.g. if you've copied it via USB even). Github is totally
28 > unrelated here.
33 So you are telling me that people using github and the switch that took
34 place has absolutely nothing to do with the changelogs going dead?
35 Before I sent my first message here, I looked at the changelogs for
36 several packages in the portage tree that I know for certain have been
37 updated. Just as the OP stated in his email, those updates to those
38 changelogs stopped in August. That is about the same time this
39 git/github happened. While I do believe the git/github change has
40 helped in a lot of ways, some of us still want our changelogs up to date
41 so that we can see them and know what is going on, especially if we run
42 into trouble and need to know what changed and when and need it to fix
43 things.
44
45 I find it odd that I have a problem, others are having the same
46 complaint but it is me not wanting to use git/github that is the
47 problem. I thought Gentoo was not depending on git/github either.
48
49 Dale
50