From: Will Briggs <will@××××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 23:16:30
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 13:14 +1000, Will Briggs wrote:
3 >> Oh dear. "slight delay" in an email list forum? That's like saying
4 >> "you can take part in this face-to-face conversation but you have to
5 >> wait 30 seconds before you can say anything" In effect you reduce that
6 >> person to an on-looker who can throw in the occassional comment. The
7 >> comments themselves are reduced in their relevance or impact because by
8 >> the time they are heard, the conversation has moved on.
9 >
10 > On a mailing list?
11 >
12 > We're not talking IRC here. We're talking mailing lists.
13 >
14 > I can take a nap, a full 8 hour sleep, or many times even take the
15 > WEEKEND OFF FROM GENTOO and still manage to come back and give useful
16 > input. Email isn't exactly instant and nobody who runs a mail server
17 > will even pretend that it is. Adding a, say, 3 hour delay between
18 > posting and the timeout, doesn't seem to me like it would affect much of
19 > anything. After all, I managed to not touch my email since Friday and I
20 > am still managing to participate in this conversation.
23 1) The smaller the moderation time, the smaller the benefit of having
24 moderation at all. The greater the moderation time, the greater the
25 "penalty" for not being one of the "in crowd." 3 hours is an
26 interesting figure to consider in this light and I would love to see
27 some justification as to why that is the "sweet spot" (if, in fact, a
28 sweet spot exists)
29
30 2) I agree - I too sleep between reading gentoo-dev. But the difference
31 is that you are talking about a delay in reading the list (like, for,
32 yeah, sleep). The proposal, however, is a delay between between your
33 awareness of the current state of the conversation (and your writing of
34 a reply), and the actual distribution of your reply.
35
36 So, for instance: someone asks a (technical) question, no-one has
37 replied, so I reply. $moderation_delay later my answer is distributed,
38 but in the mean time n other people have answered. I (or they depending
39 on whether they were moderated as well) look like an idiot, and the end
40 result is more noise on the list, not less.
41
42 And you can throw in a whole other bunch of the sorts of thing that can
43 happen in the delay between reading & writing, and the actual
44 distribution of the email --> clarifications, retractions (Don't worry
45 I've solved it emails), solutions, and even warnings from people that
46 the thread is off-topic!
47
48 This is only compounded when the thread needs a bit of "to and fro" (the
49 "when you said X, did you mean X+Z?" type email).
50
51 Email being what it is there are always posts that "pass in the night"
52 and double-ups and delays. These, while minimal, are one of email's
53 inherent frustrations. The proposal simply amplifies that frustration.
54
55 Moderation delay is not the same thing as having a sleep between
56 readings of the list.
57
58 W.
59 --