From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:10:24
1 On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 13:14 +1000, Will Briggs wrote:
2 > Oh dear. "slight delay" in an email list forum? That's like saying
3 > "you can take part in this face-to-face conversation but you have to
4 > wait 30 seconds before you can say anything" In effect you reduce that
5 > person to an on-looker who can throw in the occassional comment. The
6 > comments themselves are reduced in their relevance or impact because by
7 > the time they are heard, the conversation has moved on.
8
9 On a mailing list?
10
11 We're not talking IRC here. We're talking mailing lists.
12
13 I can take a nap, a full 8 hour sleep, or many times even take the
14 WEEKEND OFF FROM GENTOO and still manage to come back and give useful
15 input. Email isn't exactly instant and nobody who runs a mail server
16 will even pretend that it is. Adding a, say, 3 hour delay between
17 posting and the timeout, doesn't seem to me like it would affect much of
18 anything. After all, I managed to not touch my email since Friday and I
19 am still managing to participate in this conversation.
22 Chris Gianelloni
23 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
24 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
25 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
26 Gentoo Foundation