From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 41: Making Arch Testers official Gentoo Staff
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:40:10
1 Alright, so here's what I think on the whole thing now that I made a nice tidy
2 [Summary] thread.
3
4 There seems to be some concern about AT testers having more privileges than
5 some other devs. First off, I hope everyone saw the readonly access, and
6 even so, the whole point of this thing is to make development smoother.
7
8 Basically, if someone comes up to an arch tester and is like "I just put this
9 in the tree and I think it works on amd64, can you test it for me?". Said
10 person has to wait an hour or so for rsync to propigate, which may be the
11 time it takes to test the package. That provides a roadblock to efficiency,
12 not to mention you only get so many emerge --syncs before our rysnc servers
13 happily ban you.
14
15 So in conclusion, I think the costs here (having more privileges) do not
16 outweigh the benifits (having things tested for various archs within a
17 reasonable time period).
18
19 My 2 $denomination_here
20