From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Kevin <gentoo-dev@××××××.biz>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Major MCE problem with SMP on Gentoo kernels
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 20:57:38
1 On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 15:38, Kevin wrote:
2 > Ok. Thanks for the suggestion. But what about this: Dell has a utility
3 > partition and some programs for doing exhaustive testing of all the
4 > hardware in the server. If I run the most thorough set of tests
5 > available in this utility partition and I get a clean bill of health,
6 > is that a reliable indication that there are no hardware problems? Or
7 > does memtest86 do testing that's more exhaustive than most such utility
8 > suites?
9
10 I think the Dell suite would be more extensive.
11
12 > If the utility partition testing says all is well (I've done it several
13 > times in the last month or so, though maybe not the most extensive
14 > tests), what's the next place to look for an explanation of why this
15 > MCE is happening in Gentoo but not in SuSE?
16
17 Are you sure that it isn't MCE *causing* these problems? Have you tried
18 turning it off and seeing if you still have the same kinds of problems?
21 Chris Gianelloni
22 Developer, Gentoo Linux
23 Games Team
24