From: Kevin <gentoo-dev@××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Major MCE problem with SMP on Gentoo kernels
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 19:38:39
1 On Tuesday 11 May 2004 15:04, Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 02:55:47PM -0400, Kevin wrote:
3 > > Thanks for your reply, Greg. Although what you say here may be
4 > > true in some circumstances, I think you're wrong in this case. You
5 > > may have stopped reading after the above paragraph, but in the rest
6 > > of my post, I describe how a SuSE9 distro installed on this same
7 > > hardware has no problems doing all of the things that failed in
8 > > Gentoo. That's a pretty strong indication that there are no
9 > > hardware problems, isn't it?
10 >
11 > Not at all. Different compilers/kernels/programs exercise hardware
12 > in very different ways. It could be that your compiler settings for
13 > Gentoo causes different instructions to be used for the same program
14 > on SuSE.
15 >
16 > Try running memtest86 overnight as a good start to rule out your
17 > memory.
18
19 Ok. Thanks for the suggestion. But what about this: Dell has a utility
20 partition and some programs for doing exhaustive testing of all the
21 hardware in the server. If I run the most thorough set of tests
22 available in this utility partition and I get a clean bill of health,
23 is that a reliable indication that there are no hardware problems? Or
24 does memtest86 do testing that's more exhaustive than most such utility
25 suites?
26
27 If the utility partition testing says all is well (I've done it several
28 times in the last month or so, though maybe not the most extensive
29 tests), what's the next place to look for an explanation of why this
30 MCE is happening in Gentoo but not in SuSE?
31
32 -Kevin
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list