From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Kevin <gentoo-dev@××××××.biz>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Major MCE problem with SMP on Gentoo kernels
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 19:04:35
1 On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 02:55:47PM -0400, Kevin wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 11 May 2004 14:46, Greg KH wrote:
3 > > On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 02:07:58PM -0400, Kevin wrote:
4 > > > In summary, my problem is this: of those that I've tried, I can't
5 > > > get any Gentoo kernel to handle SMP operation during major CPU
6 > > > activity (like emerging packages) for more than about 5 or 10
7 > > > minutes. Invariably, during such activity, I get a kernel
8 > > > panic---most often with words on the console about Machine Check
9 > > > Exception 000000...004 (this number from memory so it may be off).
10 > >
11 > > This means you have bad hardware (memory, cpu, overheating, etc.)
12 > > It's the hardware saying that something bad just happened, nothing
13 > > the OS or distro did wrong here.
14 >
15 > Thanks for your reply, Greg. Although what you say here may be true in
16 > some circumstances, I think you're wrong in this case. You may have
17 > stopped reading after the above paragraph, but in the rest of my post,
18 > I describe how a SuSE9 distro installed on this same hardware has no
19 > problems doing all of the things that failed in Gentoo. That's a
20 > pretty strong indication that there are no hardware problems, isn't it?
21
22 Not at all. Different compilers/kernels/programs exercise hardware in
23 very different ways. It could be that your compiler settings for Gentoo
24 causes different instructions to be used for the same program on SuSE.
25
26 Try running memtest86 overnight as a good start to rule out your memory.
27
28 Good luck,
29
30 greg k-h