From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Retirement
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:09:42
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 >>> On 00:26 Mon 11 Aug , Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
5 >>>> My retirement is probably long overdue as I haven't really been active
6 >>>> for several months. It is now clear to me that Gentoo is not moving in the
7 >>>> direction I had wished for and the last council election indicates that most
8 >>>> current Gentoo developers appear to be satisfied with this current
9 >>>> direction. Therefore farewell. If anybody wants to reach me I can be reached
10 >>>> at bo.andresen at zlin.dk.
11 >>> Adios guys, and thanks for all the work you've put into Gentoo while you
12 >>> were here! Best of luck on your future endeavors.
13 >> They always say that stuff but never bother explaining what the direction
14 >> they wish for actually is. As a user I get the impression that there's some
15 >> kind of evil Cabal.
16 >
17 > Despite our best efforts Gentoo is not a fun-loving community where
18 > everyone gets along.
19 > If you want to call the fact that the majority of developers want to
20 > go in direction 'X' a cabal; then so be it.
21 >
22 > Many folks are happy at the current pace of development. I imagine
23 > these two folks were frustrated at the lack
24 > of new features in the ebuild spec that were readily available in
25 > kdebuild-1 and decided to move on. More power to them I say.
26
27 I must apologize for using the word "Cabal". I don't know the
28 developers who resigned at all, nor do I have any clue about the reasons
29 they departed. Leaving with a "Gentoo is not going in the direction I
30 want" is equivalent to "Gentoo is going in the wrong direction" and
31 makes the resignation sound political. I don't get why anyone would
32 resign because of the ebuild spec, but anyway. Resignations in general
33 don't tend to be too honest. "I'm bored dudes, farewell" would probably
34 be perfectly fine.