From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving OpenRC to a meson-based build
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 17:47:00
1 On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 09:03:49AM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 11:54:41AM +0100, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
3 > > Hi!
4 > >
5 > > On Mon, 30 Jan 2017, William Hubbs wrote:
6 > > > I have been looking at the meson build system [1] [2], and I like what I
7 > > > see.
8 > > >
9 > > > I have opened an issue on OpenRC's github wrt migrating OpenRC to the
10 > > > meson build system [3].
11 > > >
12 > > > As I said on the bug, the downside is the addition of py3 and ninja as
13 > > > build time dependencies, but I think the upside (a build system where
14 > > > we don't have to worry about parallel make issues or portability)
15 > > > outweighs that.
16 > > >
17 > > > What do folks think here?
18 > >
19 > > Meson isn't even keyworded anywhere but amd64 and x86 and I
20 > > couldn't find an indication that they care about off-mainstream
21 > > architectures at all. Yes, it's written in Python as such is more
22 > > portable than if it were written in C or somesuch, but for a
23 > > build system, the arch it runs on and targets are more important
24 > > than for most other programs.
25 >
26 > You are right that meson isn't keyworded anywhere but amd64 and x86,
27 > and I will ask them about this because If they didn't want to support
28 > off-mainstream arches this would be a blocker. Not just for OpenRC, but
29 > for all consumers that convert to it.
30
31 I checked with meson upstream, and they pointed me to Debian. Debian
32 already has packages that use Meson on all arches such as
33 https://packages.debian.org/sid/pitivi.
34
35 It looks like it would just be a matter of keywording meson as other
36 projects need it.
37
38 Again, the makefiles can't go anywhere at this point. this is an
39 upstream experiment to see how well meson would work.
42 William