From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving OpenRC to a meson-based build
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 15:04:06
1 On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 11:54:41AM +0100, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Mon, 30 Jan 2017, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > > I have been looking at the meson build system [1] [2], and I like what I
6 > > see.
7 > >
8 > > I have opened an issue on OpenRC's github wrt migrating OpenRC to the
9 > > meson build system [3].
10 > >
11 > > As I said on the bug, the downside is the addition of py3 and ninja as
12 > > build time dependencies, but I think the upside (a build system where
13 > > we don't have to worry about parallel make issues or portability)
14 > > outweighs that.
15 > >
16 > > What do folks think here?
17 >
18 > Meson isn't even keyworded anywhere but amd64 and x86 and I
19 > couldn't find an indication that they care about off-mainstream
20 > architectures at all. Yes, it's written in Python as such is more
21 > portable than if it were written in C or somesuch, but for a
22 > build system, the arch it runs on and targets are more important
23 > than for most other programs.
24
25 You are right that meson isn't keyworded anywhere but amd64 and x86,
26 and I will ask them about this because If they didn't want to support
27 off-mainstream arches this would be a blocker. Not just for OpenRC, but
28 for all consumers that convert to it.
29
30 As I said on the upstream bug, this would be a long-term project if it
31 goes through. The other blockers would be ninja and the cross build
32 issue pointed out earlier at least.
33
34 William