From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving OpenRC to a meson-based build
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 10:54:54
1 Hi!
2
3 On Mon, 30 Jan 2017, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > I have been looking at the meson build system [1] [2], and I like what I
5 > see.
6 >
7 > I have opened an issue on OpenRC's github wrt migrating OpenRC to the
8 > meson build system [3].
9 >
10 > As I said on the bug, the downside is the addition of py3 and ninja as
11 > build time dependencies, but I think the upside (a build system where
12 > we don't have to worry about parallel make issues or portability)
13 > outweighs that.
14 >
15 > What do folks think here?
16
17 Meson isn't even keyworded anywhere but amd64 and x86 and I
18 couldn't find an indication that they care about off-mainstream
19 architectures at all. Yes, it's written in Python as such is more
20 portable than if it were written in C or somesuch, but for a
21 build system, the arch it runs on and targets are more important
22 than for most other programs.
23
24 As others have pointed out, the gains are not quite as obvious as
25 the potential downsides are.
26
27 Just my 2 Rappen,
28 Tobias
31 Sent from aboard the Culture ship
32 GSV Just the Washing Instruction Chip in Life's Rich Tapestry