From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] webapp-config needs a new maintainer
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:19:38
1 On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:09:26 +0100
2 Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > This issue always bothered me. Why do we need exclusive web-app
4 > config application that effectively mirrors what emerge is supposed
5 > to do? I mean installation/removal/updates, and what's the most
6 > important config updates.
7
8 webapp-config was originally designed as a standalone, distribution
9 independent, multi-os tool (Windows support being a priority) that would
10 operate largely independently of the package manager. It just happened
11 to have been developed on Gentoo first. In the early days it would get
12 up to all kinds of crazy stuff like trying to call 'emerge -C' from
13 within pkg_postinst of an ebuild...
14
15 Unfortunately, in those days, bypassing Portage was considered easier
16 than extending it.
19 Ciaran McCreesh