From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] webapp-config needs a new maintainer
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:09:34
1 On Wednesday 10 of March 2010 07:52:28 Benedikt Böhm wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
5 > > There are quite a few bugs open for it plus the latest version (1.50.18)
6 > > is not even in Gentoo but on SourceForge only.
7 >
8 > The release on sourceforge is not compatible with the current
9 > implementation in Gentoo AFAIK.
10 >
11 > > So your first task would be a proper bump and a maybe few bug fixes after:
12 > webapp-config is in a horrible shape and also has several design
13 > flaws. i wouldn't touch it. that's why i already added an idea to the
14 > GSoC list for a complete w-c rewrite. i talked to gunnar in 2008 or
15 > 2009 at chemnitz linux days, and we agreed that w-c needs a rewrite.
16 > but none of us had/has time to do it. hopefully gsoc can change this
17 > situation.
18
19 This issue always bothered me. Why do we need exclusive web-app config
20 application that effectively mirrors what emerge is supposed to do?
21 I mean installation/removal/updates, and what's the most important config
22 updates.
23 I see this solution suboptimal.
24 Don't bash me, maybe I'm obviously missing something but I'd really prefer
25 simpler, Debian-like approach to webapps, so:
26 - web-apps installed in /usr/share instead of /var/www (is there any benefit
27 from polluting /var/www with system-managed applications?)
28 - webapp-specific apache config installed in let's say /etc/apache2/conf.d/
29 and included from httpd.conf so that any application works out of the box
30 (Alias directive may be suitable in example below)
31
32 (example entry for phppgadmin:)
33 <Directory /usr/share/phppgadmin/>
34 DirectoryIndex index.php
35 Options +FollowSymLinks
36 AllowOverride None
37 Order deny,allow
38 Allow from all
39 <IfModule mod_php5.c>
40 php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off
41 php_flag track_vars On
42 php_value include_path .
43 </IfModule>
44 </Directory>
45
46 That file (apache config) as well as wep-app specific config file
47 (/usr/share/phppgadmin/conf/config.inc.php) would be under config-protect, so
48 any modifications are tracked.
49
50 It's obviously less flexible than webapp-config (no automatic vhosts handling
51 - it would be installed initially for all vhosts, sure, one can easily
52 configure that), but at least doesn't need webapp-config anymore.
55 regards
56 MM