From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Arches marking ebuilds stable before maintainer
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:35:37
1 On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 01:27:50 +0200 Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > If an ebuild is missing significant things or conflicting with other
4 | > packages, it should be in package.mask. ~ isn't a dumping ground for
5 | > known broken ebuilds, it's an indication that the package is a
6 | > candidate for stable after testing.
7 | >
8 | As Donnie said: package.mask'ed ebuilds most likely result either in
9 | less bug reports or more users whining about broken stuff, because a
10 | lot of them would unmask nearly everything then. When becoming a dev I
11 | was told, that an ebuild can/should be marked stable thirty days after
12 | the last known bug is fixed. Does every arch team member adhere this
13 | rule and look at bugs.g., if there is an open bug report left and if
14 | the last ebuild change is from a month ago, before declaring an ebuild
15 | stable on xyz?
16
17 Thirty days? No. What we consider a reasonable period based upon the
18 scope of the package and the degree of the change? Yes. We keep
19 toolchain and base system components ~ for a lot longer than thirty
20 days. On the other hand, a minor bug fix for a non-critical application
21 might go stable after a week. That "30" is a rough guideline, not a hard
22 rule.
23
24 Surpisingly enough, the arch teams do know what they're doing here. We
25 don't go around marking all kinds of broken packages stable. However, we
26 *will* mark things stable before what Foser calls the "indicator arch"
27 if we feel that it is appropriate. Remember, the core system can be very
28 different version-wise between different archs.
29
30 What we're doing works. We know from user feedback that stable sparc and
31 mips *are* stable (well, to the extent possible given how b0rked the
32 kernel can be...). Unlike x86, who don't currently have a dedicated
33 team maintaining the stable tree, we don't get people on mailing lists
34 and the forums saying "you might as well run ~arch, it's just as likely
35 to be broken".
36
37 Case in point: the "indicator arch" for xorg-x11 would be considered
38 x86. If we were to wait for x86 to mark xorg-x11 stable before it went
39 sparc, we would still be stuck with xfree 4.3.0 which (on sparc) doesn't
40 work with 2.6.x kernels, doesn't have working opengl and doesn't have
41 working DRM. As it is, by going ahead of the "indicator arch", we have a
42 far more stable X server which, although it has a few small issues
43 remaining, works a hell of a lot better than the previous version.
44
45 Or, if you'd like a non-core example... dnsmasq 1.x had strange issues
46 with dhcp on certain sparc boxes, whereas the 2.x series didn't. The
47 same problem didn't appear on x86, so the maintainer was in no
48 particular hurry to switch over 2.x to x86. sparc went ahead of the
49 "indicator arch", resulting in non-broken dhcp for sparc users. Yes, we
50 hit one minor issue because of this, but the more serious problem was
51 fixed as a result.
52
53 | - From an organizational point of view it would be better, if the arch
54 | teams would file a (P1) request via bug.g.o, giving the maintainer
55 | (herd/s) the possibility to comment it. On the other hand I don't
56 | think Gentoo has enough developers yet, to add another bit of
57 | overhead. :-/
58
59 If in doubt, the relevant person is consulted on IRC or by email first.
60
61 This isn't a case of us consistently going around marking dodgy things
62 as stable. We keyword *as is appropriate*, and the system works.
65 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
66 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
67 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm