From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: new profile layout with flavors and mix-ins
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 08:53:42
1 Michael Haubenwallner posted on Thu, 03 Jul 2014 09:00:18 +0200 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > What about making /etc/portage/make.profile a directory rather than a
5 > symlink, having /etc/portage/make.profile/parent to reference all the
6 > flavours?
7
8 We /almost/ have that already. I've long thought that /etc/portage/
9 profile should be the "real" profile instead of an override of the real
10 profile, in which case it would have a parent file as you suggested,
11 which could have multiple listed parents.
12
13 Then /etc/portage/make.profile could be done away with, or more likely at
14 least for a time, for compatibility reasons simply be a symlink
15 -> profile.
16
17 Then users would simply directly modify their /etc/portage/profile
18 profile, including its parent file, as desired, instead of having the
19 /etc/portage/make.profile symlink, with /etc/portage/profile being yet
20 another layer on top of that.
21
22 For all I know that might actually work right now as I've not tried it,
23 but the portage (5) manpage does specifically say /etc/portage/profile
24 supports all profile files EXCEPT parent, so unless the documentation is
25 wrong...
26
27 Assuming the documentation is correct, however, "all" we'd need to do on
28 the user side would be to make portage and the other tools treat the
29 parent file in /etc/portage/profile just as they do in other profile dirs,
30 create an eselect module or equivalent to help manage that parent file,
31 and update the documentation including the handbook accordingly.
32
33 Updating other tree related tools would be required as well, of course,
34 but as already pointed out, the real work would probably be in designing
35 and setting up the new "flatter" profile tree layout and finding the
36 appropriate new-layout location for all the existing settings.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman