From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new profile layout with flavors and mix-ins
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 07:01:05
1 On 07/03/2014 08:18 AM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 07/02/2014 13:54, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> Dnia 2014-07-02, o godz. 10:44:16
4 > [snip]
5 >>
6 >> I don't feel like we ought to vote on something like this without
7 >> understanding most of the current profiles. And I'm afraid there are
8 >> only few people who have any idea about the current profile
9 >> structure...
12 > I am going to throw this out there and see what people think. Maybe it's
13 > insane, maybe it's not, maybe it's a mix of insane and not-insane.
14 >
15 > Years ago, before we had the current stacking profile design (we were
16 > discussing the current design, actually), I kinda conjured up this "building
17 > blocks" like approach for a profile design.
18
19 > The idea being that, in /etc/make.conf (or wherever that file is now), you'd
20 > define $PROFILE like this:
21 >
22 > linux-mips o32 uclibc server:
23 > PROFILE="base:kernel/linux:arch/mips:subarch/mips-o32:libc/uclibc:roles/server:releases/13.0"
24
25 What about making /etc/portage/make.profile a directory rather than a symlink,
26 having /etc/portage/make.profile/parent to reference all the flavours?
27
28 Tools that need to respect the /current/ profile should work without any change, and
29 tools that need to respect the /available/ profiles (repoman) already do have a list
30 of profiles to respect (profiles/profiles.desc).
31
32 So the only missing thing would be the eselect profile module to manage entries of
33 /etc/portage/make.profile/parent, maybe using /usr/portage/profiles/profiles.desc
34 as the source for available flavours.
35
36 my 2 cents
37 /haubi/