From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few questions to our nominees
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:06:23
1 On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:58:40 +0200
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > Anyone thinking that has a very limited understanding of how things
5 > > work.
6 >
7 > Usually in this category you put everybody that disagrees with you,
8 > no matter the topic.
9
10 And what does that tell you about the average level of response?
11
12 > I'm afraid you are mixing up emails from this thread. I got
13 > complaints about how wrongly the PMS is written, e.g. academic paper
14 > markup vs plain text, natural language used to specify syntax while a
15 > grammar notation like EBNF would be better suited, when I asked
16 > people why so few were contributing about this document.
17
18 Mmm, and how many people claiming that have suggested specific
19 improvements or pointed out specific complaints? All I've received are
20 some vague mutterings about how it should be less formal, some vague
21 mutterings about how it should be more formal, some incoherent rants
22 about how it's in some way unreadable and no actual specifics. All in
23 all, something that looks suspiciously like "I don't have any genuine
24 objections but like to moan"...
25
26 So how, specifically, is PMS "wrongly written", and why hasn't anyone
27 who thinks so bothered to provide details?
30 Ciaran McCreesh