From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] gtk/gtk2/gtk3 USE flag situation
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 17:18:01
1 On Fri, 27 May 2016 11:35:01 -0500
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
5 > wrote: [snip]
6 > > I'll be really sad when gtk2 is totally abolished in Gentoo. :(
7 > > I suppose I'll have to break down and switch to KDE maybe.
8 > >
9 > > In my opinion the upstream gtk developers have gone somewhat bonkers
10 > > with their cartoonish changes to the look, feel and generally
11 > > un-intuitive user interface. The new file selector is irritating
12 > > to use despite getting all the old behaviour settings I know of
13 > > set, the lack of the ability to paste a path into it, forcing you
14 > > to navigate directory by directory, and other BS behaviour...
15 >
16 > What's wrong with Ctrl-L to open the "Enter location or URL" text
17 > field and pasting the path there?
18 >
19 > Regards.
20
21 The unintuitive knowledge that that even existed for one.
22
23 I have been informed in IRC about this and tried it. I also found out
24 that you can just paste it without opening that box (haven't tried
25 that yet) . Also typing / will bring it up. Without a / will start a
26 search...
27
28 All unintuitive changes since gtk2. I admit I don't know all the in's
29 and out's of gtk2 either, but in gtk2 there was a small icon to open
30 the text/paste box if it wasn't already a default.
31
32 Also what is intuitive about special keystrokes in a gui? After all
33 gui stands for Graphical User Interface. Keyboard shortcuts are one
34 thing, totally hiding them from the interface quite another. There is
35 a reason I tend to prefer __GOOD__ gui apps over command line ones
36 in most cases. I hate trying/needing to memorize 100+ special
37 keystrokes and/or commands and/or options for apps. It's more I know
38 what I want to do, so do the few clicks/done, not spend half my time
39 trying to read man pages/learn/memorize _some_app_ special keystrokes
40 and/or command option in order to do it.
43 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>