From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Eigen and GPL-2 exception - is a new licence required?
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 13:18:28
1 On Saturday 12 May 2007 20:40:29 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Kevin F. Quinn kirjoitti:
3 > > All these exceptions are doing the same thing - relaxing the GPL as it
4 > > applies to the compiler (or template library in this case), so that it
5 > > does not apply to works created using it. I like the
6 > > "GPL-2-with-linking-exception" license name that the gnu-classpath
7 > > package uses; perhaps we could include (concatenate) all the exception
8 > > clauses that lead to the same thing into that license file and have the
9 > > relevant packages use that license name.
10 >
11 > This seems like a prudent course of action.
12 >
13 So something like GPL-2-with-exceptions, and then include the exception of
14 Eigen initially. Then as others add stuff add their exceptions there and
15 point to the licence in docs which would contain a copy of the GPL-2 with its
16 exception as provided by that project?
17
18 The Eigen licence is pretty much -with-linking-exception except it is a
19 template library and so it is built into the code rather than linked to.
20 Hence the need for different wording as is also the case with some of the STL
21 stuff.
22
23 If people are happy with this solution it seems reasonable to me too. I will
24 add Eigen and this licence this evening if I don't hear any big objections to
25 it. Otherwise we could end up with 50 GPL-2-with-*-exception...