From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 15:52:13
1 On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 11:12 -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > It is my understanding the the Sunrise overlay is not open to "anyone to
3 > commit", so it is not a contrib/ The sunrise project is the owner of
4 > the overlay and they are responsible for it's contents. The people
5 > commiting are responsible for what they commit. The point of the
6 > Sunrise project as I understand it is to aid in the development of
7 > ebuilds in maintainer-wanted, such that they may improve and be added to
8 > the tree; as well as to give frequent 'not quite a dev' and 'I don't
9 > have a bunch of time but would like to help' people a place to commit to.
10
11 I don't think the problem with maintainer-wanted ebuilds is that they
12 are crappy, but that there is no dev willing to maintain them and ensure
13 their quality over time. 'sunrise' (who came up with that name ? cheap
14 asian poetry attempt) doesn't change that by adding it to an 'official'
15 overlay.
16
17 Instead of tackling the real problem -the lack of maintainers to deal
18 with all requests- 'sunrise' is trying to create a backdoor for
19 unreliable maintained stuff to enter the tree.
20
21 - foser