From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:12:52
1 foser wrote:
2 > I don't think the problem with maintainer-wanted ebuilds is that they
3 > are crappy, but that there is no dev willing to maintain them and ensure
4 > their quality over time. 'sunrise' (who came up with that name ? cheap
5 > asian poetry attempt) doesn't change that by adding it to an 'official'
6 > overlay.
7
8 The sunrise name name from Patrick Lauer and I personally really like it :)
11 > Instead of tackling the real problem -the lack of maintainers to deal
12 > with all requests- 'sunrise' is trying to create a backdoor for
13 > unreliable maintained stuff to enter the tree.
14
15 Please, you are confusing "overlay" and "tree" here.
16
17 And yes - I do try to tackle the real problem with this project. I am hoping
18 to teach quite a few people how to write ebuilds and contribute with the
19 overlay. I am already beeing contacted by interested people and it will
20 only help the situation come better. Eventually a few good recruits might
21 be the result of this project
22
23 Also the sunriose overlay is an attempt to solve the unreliable maintained
24 problem. You see that for example today we are committing a bunch of
25 gcc-4.1 fixes for ebuilds that are obviously "unreliable maintained" in
26 gentoo. The sunrise overlay helps to fix stuff quicker and extends the
27 basis of people that can do maintaining work.
28
29 Please do not comment on this if you have no real improvements to make and
30 just fell like commenting, "flaming" it.
31
32 Kind regards,
33 - Stefan
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list