From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About DESCRIPTION in ebuilds needing to end with a dot "."
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 01:35:47
1 On 20 October 2012 03:01, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > At least in spanish, it's mandatory to end phrases with a dot ".", would
5 > you agree with trying to enforce this trivial change with a repoman
6 > warning?
7
8 In English, phrases don't end with a full stop. As has been argued
9 elsewhere in this thread, using full stops (periods, dots) is
10 unnecessary, redundant, and ugly.
11
12 It is my professional opinion, as an English teacher, that we should
13 *never* use full stops in DESCRIPTION fields.
14
15 If we are to use a repoman warning, we should encourage people to NOT
16 use a full stop at the end of their description phrases. Also, the
17 package name should not be repeated as part of the description.
20 Cheers,
21
22 Ben | yngwin
23 Gentoo developer
24 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin