From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mac/xmms-mac licence issue
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 03:53:50
1 On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 22:32:03 -0500 Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | What you are missing is that Gentoo (the foundation) is legally
4 | culpable for making sure that none of the packages that we provide in
5 | our tree violate any form of license. If we shipped these e-builds
6 | then the original author would have the legal right to take action
7 | against us. It is not just a question of letting the user decide if
8 | they want to use an illegally licensed program, we would be
9 | facilitating such an act. That is something we cannot and will not do.
10
11 The Foundation is liable under the DMCA for proving links to software
12 that can be used to circumvent copyright protection, and it is liable
13 under regular copyright law for shipping source or binaries of a
14 package without permission. What law covers shipping a description of
15 how to build copyright-violating (but not DMCA-covered) software?
18 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
19 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
20 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm