From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mac/xmms-mac licence issue
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 03:35:16
1 On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 19:17 -0800, Bret Towe wrote:
2 > On 12/24/05, Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o> wrote:
3 > > This isn't politics, but copyright infringement on top of a ridiculous license
4 > > (when you want to see it as one) we had a short discussion¹ about several
5 > > months ago.
6 >
7 > im sorry i fail to see how copyright infringement or a ridiculous licence
8 > matters when commiting a ebuild to portage just pick a licence if thats the
9 > issue warn the user and leave it at that
10
11 What you are missing is that Gentoo (the foundation) is legally culpable
12 for making sure that none of the packages that we provide in our tree
13 violate any form of license. If we shipped these e-builds then the
14 original author would have the legal right to take action against us. It
15 is not just a question of letting the user decide if they want to use an
16 illegally licensed program, we would be facilitating such an act. That
17 is something we cannot and will not do.
20 Daniel Ostrow
21 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
22 Gentoo/{PPC,PPC64,DevRel}
23 dostrow@g.o