From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ethical Policy
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:39:54
1 On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 12:19, David Herbert wrote:
2 > Where I have a problem is with the totally dishonest implication that
3 > gentoo.org is making. Gentoo.org is implying that they are somehow
4 > different, but it now quite clear that you are not. I think that if you
5 > were a .org in sprit rather then just a domain name, you would be proud and
6 > happy to answer my ethical concerns, but instead you are mearly brushing
7 > away and dismissing them, which is exactly what I'd expect of Microsoft, I
8 > just never expected it from a Linux .org organization. I'm also surprised
9 > that apparently so many people are helping you, giving you there own time
10 > and effort without questioning who you are.
11
12 Tod and aeoo (the people who have been replying to you up until now) are
13 new Gentoo Linux developers, and their responses do *not* represent the
14 official policy or friendliness of the Gentoo Linux development
15 community as a whole. I think that they (well, at least Tod) were
16 trying to point you to information that would hopefully answer your
17 question.
18
19 I lead Gentoo Linux development, and you should take my response as
20 being official.
21
22 Here's your answer. _We abide by the Debian Social Contract_, taking
23 into account necessary differences in item 5 due to the nature of the
24 Portage system, explained below.
25
26 Item 5 states that "non-free" software is not a part of the Debian
27 distribution. We include build scripts for non-free software in our
28 Portage tree as a convenience for users, and *do* consider those build
29 scripts part of Gentoo Linux. Since they are just build scripts (and
30 not binaries themselves), doing this is perfectly legal and does not
31 endanger the "freeness" of the rest of the distribution. Besides this
32 semantic difference, we abide by all other areas of the Debian Social
33 Contract, *including* the statement that Gentoo Linux will never be
34 dependent on non-free software in order to function. Well, with the
35 possible exception of your PC BIOS :)
36
37 Best Regards,
40 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
41 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org