From: David Herbert <mail@××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ethical Policy
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:20:32
1 My issue is not about the 'relative merits and requirements of various
2 licenses' as such, although that does play a part. Here's the point.
3 Microsoft plan is total world domination, they want the open internet
4 standards to be replaced by their own closed standards, etc, etc... this is
5 all in their long term business plan which they publish on their website
6 (investor relations link http://www.microsoft.com/msft/) so at least they're
7 honest about it. Red Hat, SUSE and the rest are honest about their
8 positions as businesses, and I have no problem with any of them.
9
10 Where I have a problem is with the totally dishonest implication that
11 gentoo.org is making. Gentoo.org is implying that they are somehow
12 different, but it now quite clear that you are not. I think that if you
13 were a .org in sprit rather then just a domain name, you would be proud and
14 happy to answer my ethical concerns, but instead you are mearly brushing
15 away and dismissing them, which is exactly what I'd expect of Microsoft, I
16 just never expected it from a Linux .org organization. I'm also surprised
17 that apparently so many people are helping you, giving you there own time
18 and effort without questioning who you are.
19
20 The reason I got interested in gentoo.org in the first place was for the
21 very reason that you were a .org. There are lots of other Linux .com
22 companies springing up and very few .orgs. I pleasantly surprised to find
23 another .org and wanted to support you, I am now of course sawly
24 dissapointed and will take your suggestion to go for debian, I think you are
25 right, I will be happier there.
26
27 Regards,
28 David Herbert
29
30 ----- Original Message -----
31 From: "Tod M. Neidt" <tod@g.o>
32 To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
33 Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 6:29 PM
34 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ethical Policy