From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Hangouts
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 15:20:03
1 On 09:21 Mon 24 Jun , Mike Pagano wrote:
2 > Sometimes it helps to realize that the people on the other end of the
3 > wire are just that: people.
4 >
5 > I've seen behaviors change among team members for the better.
6
7 ^^ This.
8
9 Seeing people as close to "in person" as we can get without a conference
10 really does help to improve the quality of our interactions. It's a lot
11 harder to be a jerk when you can picture the person you're writing to as
12 a living, breathing person.
13
14 Given recent, and more distant, actions by some of our community with
15 DevRel consequences, it should be clear that treating our fellow
16 developers decently is a problem. And seriously, hopping on a video chat
17 once or twice a year should be doable for most of us.
18
19 I don't necessarily care a lot about the PR value of any replays, I see
20 it as much more important to strengthening Gentoo than to do outreach.
21
22 That said, I've gotten over 10,000 views of an intro talk on Gentoo
23 that's posted on YouTube despite its pretty bad audio quality, and
24 nearly 2,000 views of a Gentoo talk targeted at developers, so there's
25 clearly people looking for this stuff.
28 Thanks,
29 Donnie
30
31 Donnie Berkholz