From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: kensington@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Adding slot and subslot deps to others' packages
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 16:15:40
1 Dnia 2014-03-03, o godz. 03:04:41
2 Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 03/02/2014 07:37 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > Few months ago I have written a small FAQ on how to use slots
8 > > and subslots for library dependencies properly [1]. However, today
9 > > I see that most of the developers didn't care to properly update their
10 > > packages and when I introduced binary compatibility slot in libgcrypt,
11 > > I had my hands full of work fixing the mess for a single package.
12 > >
13 > > Honestly, it's PITA to update and commit a few dozen ebuilds just to
14 > > modify a single dependency. Plus sometimes portage's dynamic-deps
15 > > no longer work so I'd have to revbump all the packages as well to
16 > > be 100% correct. And the sole fact that I'm fixing just one dep when
17 > > there's a dozen libraries more that may need fixing in the future...
18 > Please carefully consider whether a revbump is unconditionally required
19 > for every situation.
20
21 Just to be clear, I'm not going to revbump the packages now. I'd like
22 to fix all the dependencies early enough so that we wouldn't have to
23 revbump them when we introduce compat slots.
24
25 > > So, I'm asking: would you mind if I started taking random packages
26 > > and updating the library dependencies (whenever they are clear) to use
27 > > slot :0 (in EAPI 1..4) and :0= (in EAPI 5) as appropriate?
28 > >
29 > > [1]:http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/88541
30 >
31 > For adding an explicit slot after a binary compatibility slot is
32 > introduced, I think that is fine. I have been doing that for
33 > virtual/jpeg as I come across them (AFAIK no effort was made to fix this
34 > when it was introduced) and I have never had any complaints.
35
36 I want to do this *before*, for all potential packages. That is, just
37 fix all the stuff at once instead of fixing again and again every time
38 a new library is modified.
39
40 Committing to CVS has more overhead than adding the slot. So it's
41 better to add slots to all deps rather than one-by-one.
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny